Dinghy Racing: September 13th

Summer Weekend Series Sunday 13th September 2015: Trapezoid Ave Lap UGDC Wind ESE4-6

Culdrose on Sunday recorded over 20-30 mph average and gusting for an original 3pm race start. Captain Dinghies Andy Biggs had made the correct decision to delay matters until 5pm – just in time for a welcome soft rain to soothe salt-stung eyes in a somewhat milder 15-30mph.
Race Officers Steve & Beccy Kestin found what little shelter there was near Trebah for the start – pointing the fleet into a short steep swell for the first long leg to Gew. Andrew Hoskin deceived by the sheltered nature of the calm under the clubhouse, on reaching Trebah in his Laser 2 decided discretion was the better part of valour, and was the first to retire.
Proving peri octogenarians can surf with a sail, Dave Philpott impressively survived the roller coaster ride to Durgan where others did not, and after a magnificent first lap in the Solo finished on a high. Dave’s son Phil in the fastest boat of the day found he could survive the downwind sections – just – by perching precariously at the end of the scaffolding that counts as Gunwales on his Blaze and was home 5 minutes before everyone else.
Biggs & Brooks battled through the surf together on their full rigged lasers the entire race whooping more in relief as the exhausting beat turned to exhilarating reach up river. Other than a little faux pas on the gybe round Durgan, Biggsey had the edge over his rival, driving himself and craft to the limits, such that his boom broke on a +30mph pirouette through the narrows after race end.
Youth sailors Beks Hosking & Matt Broad in Laser Radials heroically made their way around the course – more than keeping up with the adults – Matt dividing Brooks and Biggs for a third.
Roger McDonald, Helford River Children’s Sailing Trust Deputy Chief Instructor had been out on the river earlier in the day on one of a pair of Trust Laser Visions put up for sale, testing for the first time its qualities in a stiff breeze, and at the same time instructing a mature nephew crewing on his first sail. Deciding his charge could cope with more instruction McD returned to the club in a Wayfarer. Heading the field behind the Blaze, a failure in the Wayfarer’s running rigging on the first reach to Durgan denied the pair a podium position – but not an indifferent start, it could be said, to a Level 1 Dinghy qualification!

Results: 1st D Philpott, 2nd S Brooks, 3rd M Philpott

Captain Dinghies: Andy Biggs thanks all those in support of the fleet on the day
Committee: Steve & Beccy Kestin
Safety: Nick Glossop & Ben Johns
Following: Chris & Emma Broad


Dave Philpott winner of HRSC Sunday race photographed earlier in the week

Similar Posts