Friendly informal group tuition is provided for youngsters aged between 8 (by the 1st May), and 16. Tuition will be given by experienced club members. We use Optimist, Topper and Wayfarer dinghies with full safety cover on Friday evenings during the summer.
These sessions provide a marvellous opportunity for personal development of our children acquiring the skills of sailing and seamanship whilst having fun on the water. The sessions are open to all youngsters regardless of experience.
Please note the following points:
- Junior Sailing takes place every Friday evening between 17.45 and 20.00.
- Please be punctual to maximise time on the water.
- Juniors must register on arrival and sign out before leaving.
- Juniors must wear a correctly fitted Life Jacket or Buoyancy Aid and protective footwear at all times. A wet suit is highly desirable.
- Plenty of warm clothing should be brought each week, including windproof and/or shower proof jacket a change of clothes and shoes.
- No boat is allowed to sail unless the Rescue Boat is in attendance.
- All Juniors must be prepared to enter the water for capsize drill, and be able to swim.
- The pontoon is out-of-bounds to Juniors unless accompanied by an adult.
Junior Sailing relies on adult volunteers for the wide range of jobs that keep this activity going. Please will parents or guardians indicate in the space available on the Junior Application Form how they can help us with Junior Sailing. Once applicants have been confirmed parents will be contacted to find out more. Adult helpers will be sent a form that needs to be completed in regard to the necessary child protection procedures. Please don’t be offended by this; it is an essential procedure to protect our volunteers. Please note that all children must be accompanied by an adult helper in order to be allowed on the water.
The application form for the 2022 HRSC Junior Sailing season is now live, and this year we have gone online! You’ll need a digital photo of your kids and about 5 minutes to spare.
Online application form:
You have until the end of March to submit your forms.The groups and teaching structure will be decided in early April.Friday 29 April, 5:45pm – Introductions and boat scrubFriday 6 May – NO SAILING; its the first Flora Day in 3 years!Friday 13 May, 5:45pm – First night on the water. Full sailing gear, buoyancy aids, foot-ware and warm hat please.
Looking forward to seeing you at the club 😀.
Vanessa, Captain Juniors.