Hello and welcome to what will hopefully become a regular HRSC sailing update.
The RYA have issued guidance on what sailing activities can happen vs the government’s timetable. In summary organised activities are permitted from 29 March, and changing rooms and toilets can open from 12 April – when we should also be able to enjoy a socially distanced drink on the balcony 😀. From 17 May the club should be open indoors (subject to the rule-of-6), until 21 June when all restrictions will hopefully be lifted.
Following last year’s break Junior Sailing will start up again in May. Many applications are already in, but there’s still time if you haven’t applied yet – The forms are here. As time is short please complete them electronically and email to Sally ([email protected]). The cost this year is £15, which is excellent value for 17-ish evenings of RYA assessed tuition! Cheques should be made payable to HRSC and sent in separately to the office.
Adult Sailing is due to start in May, with the Wayfarers due to get on the water shortly. Please contact Angie Watson ([email protected]) if you are interested in joining the Tuesday evening sessions. With a maximum of three to a boat this outdoor activity is covid-secure and a great way to get rid of the lockdown blues. The cost this year is £15, cheques should be made payable to HRSC and sent in separately to the office, or pay by BACS or by card at the bar.
Here’s the Dinghy Racing Calendar for April:
- Sunday 18th 10:30 – On the water sail
- Thursday 22nd 18:00 – Racing
- Sunday 25th 16:30 – Mini regatta
- Thursday 29th 18:30 – Racing
Remember, the club’s boats are available for members to take out racing. We have Fusions, Fevas, Lasers, Toppers, Oppies and a Vision – numbers are limited and boat allocation for racing is handled by Duncan on the WhatsApp group, so check out the website for joining instructions. The full 2021 dinghy racing calendar is on the website here.
Our intension to have informal “practice races” on Wednesday evenings from 14 April with a regatta on Sunday 2 May to kick things off.
Here’s a summary of the yacht racing calendar this year:
- The Spring Series starts on 05/04/21for 5 weeks (1 or 2 races per evening)
- The Summer Series starts 16/06/21 for 7 weeks
- L’Aber Wrac’h Race is planned for 25/06/21
- Falmouth week is 08/08/21
- Autumn series Starts 18/08/21 with the season finishing in late September
To get involved as skipper or crew head over the HRSC Keelboats Facebook page. The community there is friendly and active, with new sailors welcome. If you have any questions please talk to Alex ([email protected]).
Volunteers keep the club going and make it what it is. If you’d like to get involved there are lots of ways to get out on the water and help. We need:
- Safety boat/Committee boat drivers (with Powerboat L2 cert) for dinghy racing (Thursday nights and Sunday mornings/afternoons) – Talk to Duncan and Adult Sailing on Tuesday nights and the occasional Saturday morning/afternoon – talk to Angie
- Experienced dinghy helms for Wayfarers on Tuesday nights – Talk to Angie
- Race Officers for dinghies and yacht racing (Wed/Thurs nights + Sat mornings/afternoons) – Talk to Duncan and Alex
See the club’s website for contact details.
Wishing you a great year on the water…
Rear Commodore Sailing